Seder Dietary Guidelines
Special foods prepared in special ways are an important part of the Passover Seder celebration. We have Passover recipes available for your use if you wish. If you prefer to use your own recipes, please observe these dietary laws associated with Passover.
Important!!! The following items should be AVOIDED:
- Grain products (associated with fermentation):
Wheat, Rice, Oats, Rye — e.g. no food made with flour
Liquids made from grain alcohol
- Legumes (associated with fermentation, leavening gasses)
Dried beans, dried peas, tofu, soy sauce.
- Leavened bakery products:
Breads, cakes, cookies, etc. made with yeast, baking soda,
baking powder or a fermented product.
- Pork products:
Ham, bacon, pork chops, sausages, etc.
Shrimp, crab, etc.
- Avoid using dairy products (milk, cheese, butter, yogurt).
Substitute the following items in your own recipes:
- non-dairy margarine for butter (eg. Nucoa)
- matzo meal for bread crumbs
- matzo cake meal for flour
- beaten eggs as a leavening agent for bakery products