How to Host a UUCPA Barbecue
Here are notes what to do before, during and after a UUCPA barbeque:
- If necessary, buy 20 pounds of cheap charcoal and some red and
white wine (jug or box) and some juice and soda, unless you know there is
enough left over from last week. (Check supplies first.)
- The most important thing is to start the fires early enough to be
ready for cooking when the time comes. They should be started
between 5:30 and 5:45. (Don't forget matches.)
- To start the fires put one crumpled newspaper page in each starter
can through the bottom and half-fill the top with charcoal. (No lighter
fluid is needed. Don't use lighter fluid!) Light the paper and wait about
15 minutes until most of the charcoal is burning. Add charcoal to fill the
starter can. Wait another 15 minutes for all the charcoal to be burning.
Then distribute the coals in the grills and add some fresh charcoal to the
- Look around, hopefully a week early, for the location of hot and
cold plastic cups and clear plastic wine glasses. Put water in a coffee
urn, put instant coffee, tea, sugar and cream on a tray and take all of
this out to the Youth Patio. Plug the urn in.
- Set up tables and chairs. Table covers may be found in a box in the
- Greet all and ask newcomers to stand and introduce themselves if
they choose to. Socialize, have a good time. Call attention to
opportunities to sign up to host future barbecues. Bring the sign-up list
from the office.
- Send the donation can(s) around all the tables. Suggested
voluntary donations are $2 per person or $4 per family.
- Count the money, take out your expenses and put your receipts and
the remaining money in an envelope and drop it through the slot in the Library door. Mark it From the Barbeque.
- Wire brush the grills and leave the coals to burn out.
- Return all the unused stuff to where it lives. Soft drinks go into the
main kitchen fridge. All wine should be stored off campus.
- Wash serving pots, pan, utensils, etc. in the kitchen.
- Turn off the lights and lock the Patio Room doors.